Located on the east side of the island on Dockton Road S.W., between Portage and Ellisport, the Tramp Harbor Dock rests on the site of the very first automobile ferry from Vashon to Des Moines. After the ferry was discontinued in 1921, the former ferry dock was converted to an oil dock to bring petroleum products to Vashon when the Standard Oil Company leased the dock from King County. The ferry dock's landing platform and the present picnic area were constructed for oil tank storage, a fuel dispensing station, and a garage. The dock was reconstructed in 1939. Standard Oil stopped using the pier in the mid-1980's, so the fuel storage site was demolished. King County, which still owned the dock, converted it to a public fishing pier, then deeded it to the Vashon Park District in 1995.